iCeMS Learning Lounge #8: Ayami Joh + Alfonso Avila-Robinson
Why Our Science Matters
The "Learning Lounge" features young scientists who, in 20 minutes deliver a presentation that will persuade any curious listener, even those without a scientific background, why their research area -- not just the personal research of the speaker -- is important to the world.
To the video archive >>
Dr Ayami Joh
Every Little Bit Counts in Human Interaction
Greeting, having meetings, playing with friends, spending good times with family…Everyday, we interact with many people, and such daily communication is made up of a variety of secret factors that influence our thinking and behavior. In our research, we observe people’s daily interactions, and carefully analyze the “factors”. Join our exploration to find what they actually are.
Dr Alfonso Avila-Robinson
Seeing the Dynamics of Science Convergence
Knowledge is rapidly growing and simultaneously fragmenting into numerous disciplines, making it difficult for scientists to see the “bigger pictures” of their science. Here I will show how the three-dimensional networking of meta-knowledge – knowledge about knowledge – can help us to see the continuous breaking down of barriers between disciplines in modern science.
Dr Ayami Joh (iCeMS Science Communication Group)
Dr Alfonso Avila-Robinson (iCeMS Avila-Robinson Lab)
Presentation: Japanese (Dr Joh) / English (Dr Avila-Robinson)
Q&A: English and Japanese for both
- Date / Time
- July 28, 2016 / 14:00-15:30
- 2nd floor Seminar Room (#A207), iCeMS Main Building (#77), Kyoto University Directions
- Institute for Integrated Cell-Material Sciences (iCeMS), Kyoto University
- Not required for non-iCeMS participants iCeMS members please register via your lab's secretary.
- KUIAS/iCeMS Overseas Affairs and Planning/Public Relations | ias-oappr (at) mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp